Tuesday 22 March 2016


Another Grey Day.....

I decided to potter in the green house at home again yesterday.

I have cheated .... and bought some sweet peas from B&Q! I did't get round to sowing them last autumn (which is when I prefer to do it) and happened to be passing when I saw small pots of sweet peas for £!.00! They are Spencer mix which I think are good ones so fingers crossed. I gently teased them apart and was delighted to find 30 plants in the 2 pots. So 30 plants for £2.00 - not bad! I potted them on and left them to settle for a couple of days. Today I decided to pinch them all out to encourage bushy plants and more flowers! If you need more information about growing and looking after them - click here - Growing Sweet Peas

I absolutely adore the smell - they remind me of my Dad. I can picture his sweet pea patch at home when I was a little girl.



The next job was to sow some leeks. I am very much in two minds about this because a couple of years ago we got Leek Moth on our allotment site and it ruined everyone's leeks. They look great at first and then seemingly overnight they start turning brown and slimy -YUCK!

Leek Moth Damage

The only real protection is to put up a physical barrier. So after some deliberation I have decided to fleece them and also to treat them as a crop of baby leeks and start harvesting when they are still fairly small. So anyway they are sown!


Then, typically, the sun came out and I washed some more modules and half trays ready for the next batch of seeds and left them out to dry.


Well - that's it for now but this Friday is Good Friday and you know what that means .... planting spuds! Updates to follow!



No comments:

Post a Comment